Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Navratna Kurma

We invited a family friend who recently got married over for dinner. Since I'm at my mum's place for a while I really didn't have worry about the cooking. My help usually goes as far as deciding the menu :) Once I'm home I am mommy's little girl again with no responsibilities to worry about!! But this time I decided to contribute to the cooking for a change.
The reason this dish is called 'navratna' is because it has nav (nine) varieties of veggies. But it totally depends on what veggies you would want to add in. I only used 4 different vegetables so i suppose that would make my dish 'char-ratna' ! :p

Ingredients
  • 2 tea cups of assorted and boiled vegetables ( peas, carrots, potatoes, french beans)
  • Grated paneer 200 gms
  • Puree of 3 tomatoes
  • 2 onions, grated
  • Ginger & garlic paste, 2 tsp
  • Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
  • Red chilli powder, 2 tsp
  • Coriander powder, 2 tsp
  • Garam masala, 2 tsp
  • Cream 100 gms
  • 1 cup milk
  • Oil 6 tbsp
  • Cashew nuts and raisins, a handful
  • Chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
  • Salt to taste

Procedure
  • Heat 1 tbsp of oil. When hot fry the cashew nuts and raisins until the nuts turn golden brown and the raisins puff up. Keep aside
  • Now add the rest of the oil. Fry onions and ginger-garlic paste till golden brown
  • Add the turmeric powder, Chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala and fry well for 2-3 minutes till the raw smell goes
  • Now add the tomato puree and dry fruits and fry till the oil leaves the sides
  • Next add milk and bring to a boil. Now simmer till the gravy thickens
  • Add the cream and mix well
  • Add paneer to the gravy
  • The vegetables go in next. Simmer for a few minutes
  • Garnish with the coriander leaves and some more cream
Happy cooking!




2 comments:

  1. Thank u! Do give me feed back on how the dish turned out, once you try it! :) Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete