Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bread Upma

This is a good snack for breakfast. I remember i ate it for the first time on my first day at office. I was with a colleague and a little apprehensive of all the new job responsibilities. Then we went to the canteen for a tea break. I decided to try out the bread upma from the menu. I loved it! i couldn't believe you could make anything like this out of bread. The snack did me good, and I got back to work with renewed energy! :) Now I make it regularly for breakfast.

Ingredients
5-6 slices of bread (better it is is a day or two old)
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
3-4 curry leaves
A handful of roasted peanuts
1 tsp chilli powder ( need not be added, if you want it less spicy)
Chopped coriander for garnish
salt for taste
1 tbsp oil

Procedure
  • Heat oil in a pan
  • Add the onions and curry leaves, fry till it becomes soft
  • Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are cooked and mashed
  • Add the chilli powder and fry for a minute
  • Add the peanuts
  • Tear the bread slices with your hands  in to bite sized pieces
  • Add this to the pan and fry nicely till the bread pieces are well coated
  • Garnish with coriander
  • You can also add about a tsp of sugar if you like
    Happy Cooking!                          






2 comments:

  1. Seems tasty! I wated to try to make it but I dont know where to find some of the ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! thanks for your comment. what ingredients are you finding difficult to find? cilantro can be used in place of coriander leaves. red chilli powder can be replaced with cayenne or paprika. You can leave out curry leaves. You can also find all these ingredients in any store selling indian products.

    ReplyDelete